The arrival of fall means three things- gorgeous fall foliage, crisp morning and evening air, and fun activities that incorporate all the splendor and joy of the season. These days jumping into a pile of leaves may sound more like an injury waiting to happen than a fun time, but we’ve come up with a list of five fun fall activities to get you excited for autumn.
- Go Apple Picking- The hot summer days are past us now, and fall is the perfect time to squeeze in some outdoor activities before winter arrives. You’ll boost your vitamin D levels and get some healthy exercise as well. If you don’t have any significant mobility issues, try to find an apple-picking event at a local farm. And don’t forget your camera. Apple picking is a great photo op! If you can’t make it to a farm or aren’t up for reaching and picking and walking on uneven ground, go to a local farmer’s market so that you can enjoy some freshly picked apples anyway.
- Make Some Fall Treats- Well now you’ve got all of these apples. What do you do with them? Cook them up of course! Apple sauce, crock pot apple butter, fried apples, and everyone’s fall favorite- apple pie! Plan a day in the kitchen with a friend or loved one and make as many of your favorite fall treats as you can and tuck some away in your freezer or later.
- Enjoy the Changing Leaves- The biggest highlight of fall is the changing of the leaves. Pack a picnic and grab a few friends and head to the park to enjoy the view. Collect some leave to take home or some crafts like leaf running and making wreaths. If your health allows you might also consider booking a scenic ride through the countryside to enjoy the gorgeous colors of fall.
- Plan a Game Night- For many older Americans fall is sports season! Whether you prefer pigskins or pucks, make arrangements to take in a local high school football or hockey game. Or, you could plan a fun night in to watch the pros on the big screen at home with some friends. Don’t forget the game night snacks! Order in pizza and wings and put out a spread of veggies, crackers, cheeses, pretzels, and dips as well as an assortment of your favorite beverages.
- Decorate For the Season- Scarecrows, turkeys, pumpkins, sunflower wreaths, leaf garlands- these things stir up fun holiday memories for most Americans. Decorating for the season and the upcoming fall holidays is a fun way to reminisce while brightening your home for fall.
The mild weather of fall presents the perfect opportunity for some time outdoors soaking up the last warm rays of sunshine before the chill of winter sets in. Get creative about ways to capture that fall feeling and take in as much nature as you can. Just be sure that any activities that you plan are within your abilities. Safety should be your first concern when making any plans. At Ashbridge Manor Senior Living we pride ourselves on creating an environment that enables seniors to lead a socially active lifestyle to improve their health. When it’s time to transition to a senior living facility, contact our professional staff members and we can help make it easy. You can find us at 971 E. Lancaster Avenue in Downingtown, PA, call 610.269.8800, or contact us online for more information. Ask us about our move-in special!