As we age, good nutrition becomes even more important, and hydration is also an important part of a healthy lifestyle. However, many seniors don’t drink enough water every day, and that can mean experiencing symptoms that may be mistaken for other health issues. Today, we’ll talk about why getting enough water is so important for seniors.
When you don’t drink enough water, you are at risk of becoming dehydrated. Some common symptoms of hydration include:
- Dry mouth
- Increased heart rate and body temperature
- Dizziness and confusion
Other more serious symptoms like muscle spasms and kidney failure can occur when dehydration becomes more extreme, so it’s important to be sure you’re getting enough water each day to feel your best.
Seniors have unique issues that may prevent them from drinking water regularly, including:
- Limited mobility, so they can’t get a glass of water themselves
- Medications, especially a mix of medications that can have a diuretic effect
- A reduced sense of thirst, so they’re not sure when they need more water
- Uncontrolled health conditions like kidney disease or diabetes can make them become dehydrated faster
- Memory difficulties that make it hard to remember if they’ve had a drink of water
Because of these difficulties, it’s important for all seniors to pay attention to their hydration levels every day. Make it a priority to drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water every day, and you accomplish that goal with these easy tips:
- Drink water with every meal or snack and when taking medications
- Keep a glass of water nearby and sip on water throughout the day
- Avoid caffeinated drinks that can have a diuretic effect
- Take water with you when you walk or exercise
- Eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit, which have a high water content
Stay on top of your daily hydration for optimal health in your senior years. At Ashbridge Manor Senior Living, our senior living facilities and programs are designed to provide a healthy, active lifestyle. When it’s time to transition to a senior living facility, give us a call and our professional staff members will make the transition easy. You can find us at 971 E. Lancaster Avenue in Downingtown, PA, call 610.269.8800, or contact us online for more information. Ask us about our move-in special! Ashbridge Manor is a safe, COVID-free senior living community.